These don’t take up much room, but can make a huge difference.
- Flashlight with spare batteries. Many who get lost, simply ran out of daylight
- Fire making kit. Can be vital in a serious situation. It provides, warmth, signalling, keeping animals away.
- Signalling device, such as a whistle & large orange plastic bag.
- Extra food and water. Water is more important than food, but food can provide comfort.
- Extra clothing
- Rain and wind protection, especially on the west coast!
- Navigational/communication devices
- Map and compass a minimun
- First aid kit
- Emergency blanket/shelter. A large orange plastic bag will work and doubles as a rain jacket.
- Pocket knife
- Sun & insect protection.
- And don’t forget to add other equipment specific to your chosen activity, season and location.
For more information, visit Adventure Smart’s guide.