If you get lost – know what to do!
- Stay calm and try to be positive. Panic causes more deaths than anything else!
- S.T.O.P: Stop moving, think, observe, then plan.
- Stay put! It will reduce the time that it takes authorities to find you.
- During the daylight, stay in the open. At night, build or find shelter.
- Stay dry and warm. Use a garbage bag or a natural shelter.
- Help searchers find you, even if you are embarrassed or afraid.
- Make signals – use your whistle, light a fire or display an orange garbage bag.
- Remember that animals will not be attracted to your signals.